Sunday, October 27, 2013

PRABE Reflection #3

This week I continued my reading of Accidental Pharisees by Larry Osborne. This has been a book that has really challenged a lot of the beliefs that I have held (knowingly or unknowingly), or at the very least, challenged me to consider why I hold the beliefs that I do and evaluate whether or not they are truly founded on biblical principles.
       One of the chapters I read this week was called "The problem with Rose-Colored Memories (Why These Might be the Good Old Days). In this chapter, the author discusses how many Christians (and churches in general) tend to view the past as the good old days, and hold more of a doomsday, everything's going to hell view of today. He then suggests that, perhaps, many who hold these views are remembering "the good old days" as far better than they were and taking a too critical view of the present. This whole idea connected with me, because while I am not a "doomsday" type of person when thinking about the present time, it is easy to get caught up in the many preachers, scholars, etc. who like to preach about how society is becoming more and more sinful and everyone needs to change our ways and revert more back to how things were 10, 20 or however many years ago. In the book, the author provides biblical examples that show how people and churches had significant issues during biblical times as well. In fact, many such issues look a lot like the issues we have today. Whether it be churches full of "lukewarm" Christians or individuals struggling with conforming to ideals of society-- these have been issues since the beginning of time. This isn't to say that we shouldn't strive to correct this, but suggesting that people today are horribly corrupt and need to be more like it was "back then" is inaccurate and creates more of an opportunity for pride and talking down to others than it does open communication and accountability so that we can actually improve.
        Some of the overall takeaways from this book have had some significant impact on my current beliefs and are causing me to reevaluate much of the ideals and beliefs that I have grown up with. A mentor of mine recommended this book, and I'm not sure if it's because he noticed this particular struggle in my life, but in reading this book I have realized that I have struggled with being far too judgmental; and not enough focused on grace and forgiveness. This book has also forced me to reflect on whether or not I spend my time thinking and telling others about what is truly important. If I'm being honest, the past year or two I have fallen into the line of thinking of "The way is narrow and few will find it." This is a popular verse to preach on today, where the speaker essentially uses this verse from Matthew to tell everyone (even "Christians") that they may not actually be Christians because their lives haven't changed enough and this likely means they don't "truly" believe- therefore they are not "truly" saved. For the past two years or so, I have based my faith on this principle and felt it my duty to judge others and convey the message of: "Your life doesn't look "Christian" enough, therefore you may not actually be a Christian." Often using the verse mentioned above as evidence. However, this book has helped me realize this line of thinking leaves out a very significant aspect of following Jesus-- The Grace brought through the death and resurrection of Jesus on the cross. This grace means we don't have to be perfect. And that so long as we believe in him, and continue to confess our sin, ask for forgiveness, and try to drawer nearer to him-- we are saved.
     I still wouldn't say that I have a all of this figured out, but this book has been very helpful in encouraging me to evaluate what I believe, why I believe it, and to test and see if this actually aligns with the biblical teachings of Jesus.

Reading Log:
Monday- 8:30-9am
Tuesday-- 8:30-9am
Wednesday:8:30-8:45
Thursday: 8:30-9:00

No comments:

Post a Comment