This week I started a new book called "Love Does" that I felt was a good follow-up to the last one I read. In this book, the author essentially provides his view of following Jesus through various stories that he has experienced during his life.
It seems clear through the first 4-5 chapters that the author's main idea is that he doesn't agree with much of the religious aspects of faith and God, and feels that can get in the way of a true, authentic faith.
As the title suggests, many of the stories focus on the way the author experiences (either towards others or from others) aspects of unconditional love. He presents faith in a way that is far from neat or clean, but suggests that the purpose of the whole thing is to love others unconditionally.
I am enjoying this book because it addresses many of the issues that I have been struggling with lately. Over the past few years, I have begun to try and determine what I really believe--not what my parents or grandparents believe--but what I believe. This has led me to asking "what is at the root of this whole having faith in God thing--like, what's the point of it all?".
This book that I'm currently reading and the last one I read both address this in different ways, suggesting that being too focused on religious practices may distract from that which is truly at the center of God's purpose for our lives.
Reading Log:
Monday- 8:30-9
Tuesday- 8:30-9
Thursday- 8:30-9
Friday- 8:30-9
No comments:
Post a Comment